Thursday, April 24, 2014

Bitsy Pieces

When I don't feel like doing any other kind of sewing, I can still enjoy playing with scraps.
I have bins of scraps in different shapes and sizes. I sew them together in ways that please or amuse me until they are big enough to be considered "blocks".

Scrap bins:
This is one of several boxes o' scraps

Scrap Blocks in Progress


I can make quilts or smaller objects.

Recently, I made a case for knitting needles.  I found six small (about 7") blocks that I liked with one another. I sewed them together to make a single piece of fabric that was about 13" x 19". I found a half yard of fabric that had been sitting unused in my stash for who knows how many years and used that for the backing.

Outlined blocks


I sandwiched together the scrappy piece, a batting scrap and the backing and quilted them together.
Then I trimmed the quilt to size: 18.5" x 12.5".

This picture shows the finished object, but I think you can see the quilting.

A needle case needs pockets. So, I found a piece of fabric with sun, moon and stars that was leftover from a failed border and made an inside pocket.


I also made a flap out of leftover backing fabric to cover the tops of my needles so they don't fall out. 

The whole thing folds and closes with a ribbon. 





Now I have three homemade needle cases: one for size 0-3, this one for size 4-7, and a bigger one for longer needles and sizes 8 and up. 



No comments:

Post a Comment